*3 tablespoons olive oil
*2 celery stalks, sliced
*1 eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
*1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
*1/4 cup tomato paste
*1/4 cup white wine vinegar
* kosher salt and black pepper
*1 tablespoon sugar
*2 tablespoons capers
*1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (optional)
*1 Cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
*1 pound dried penne
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add the celery and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the eggplant and tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, vinegar, ¼ cup water, 2 ½ teaspoons salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and the sugar.
Stir into the eggplant mixture.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the capers, pine nuts (if desired), and parsley.
- Meanwhile, cook the penne according to the package directions.
Toss with the remaining oil; let cool. Combine with the eggplant mixture and serve.